- November 30, 2013
- There is no need let your waistline expand during holiday celebrations! Spice up your Thanksgiving, Hannukah, Christmas and New Year's Eve raw food style, by expanding your taste buds instead, while enjoying guilt-free versions of...
Raw Glamour in Marrakech
Jan. 21, 2012 - Jan. 27, 2012
de∙hydrated.com and Chef Jennifer M. Robertson bring the joy of modern living cuisine to Marrakech, Morocco with the preparation of raw food in a contemporary style and atmosphere. Join us for a week of fresh, delicious living food in glamorous surroundings as you learn the basics to create modern raw food masterpieces free from artificial additives, gluten and animal products as a way to promote both optimum personal health and environmental sustainability. Sessions including desserts, chocolate, nut cheese and enticing entrées will satisfy your every indulgence and energize you from the inside out!
This unique retreat will be held at the beautiful Peacock Pavilions boutique hotel, set on 8.5 acres of land amongst a private olive grove just outside of Marrakech. Designed and built by American humanitarian, designer and author Maryam Montague and her architect and green builder husband Chris Redecke, the facility offers luxury in a natural setting, a short ride from the hustle, bustle and colorful textiles of the souqs which have made this area a famous shopping, dining and touring destination for those with an interest and appreciation for exotic treasures and explosions of cultural curiosities!
With a design theme of ‘modern ethnic glamour’ in mind, Maryam has expertly incorporated items of great simplicity and stunning beauty into the two guest pavilions which comprise the property, and consist of a total of five double-occupancy guest bedrooms. Each pavilion includes its own salon under a domed roof, providing a serene meeting or relaxing space, filled with exotic treasures from Maryam’s travels around the world. The Atlas Pavilion faces the mountains of the same name, and features a spiral staircase, a catwalk, Egyptian lanterns, and two bedrooms with their own fireplace, glamorously designed bathrooms and private rooftop terrace access. The Medina Pavilion’s domed ceiling supports a Persian chandelier of hanging lights, and its three bedrooms also contain their own stenciled fireplaces and bathrooms. Both pavilions are stylishly decorated with vintage Moroccan textiles and one-of-a-kind handmade treasures from the Middle East, Africa and beyond, and were designed and constructed with an artist’s eye. The property also offers an 800-square foot pool, an olive grove with an outdoor cinema, a quaint kitchen garden, a handcrafted and stenciled Moroccan dining tent, and real life peacocks, of course!
RAW FOOD WORKSHOP
Through 17 hours of combined instruction, demonstration and hands-on activities, participants will be introduced to the fundamentals of contemporary raw food preparation. Together we’ll go through an introduction to raw foods, dicing and slicing, creative cocktails as well as breakfast drinks, what to do with nuts and seeds, fermenting foods, snacks and canapés, colorful entrées and decadent desserts, including a session dedicated strictly to chocolate! Participants will leave the retreat capable of producing raw food for all of their meals morning through night, both as simple dishes for themselves, and more elaborate and intricate creations to impress their friends and families.
Activities currently scheduled for inclusion in the retreat include, but are not limited to:
- Learn the basics of raw food prep, from drinks to gourmet desserts
- Tour the bustling streets of Marrakech, including a garden, a palace and a tomb
- Shop at the largest souq in Morocco, full of treasures just waiting to be discovered
- Explore the coastal seaside hamlet of Essouira, made famous by Jimi Hendrix
- Experience a fine meal in town while belly dancers entertain your table
- Receive an authentic Moroccan hammam treatment at Les Bains de Marrakech spa
- Sleep in a boutique pavilion decorated with ethnic glamour in mind
- Indulge in a wine tasting session in your pavilion salon
- Celebrate the clear blue skies with a henna party on the rooftop
- View a film in an outdoor theatre under a canopy of stars
- Dine on fresh, local produce in an embellished Moroccan tent
- Enjoy an organic, raw honey tasting and lecture at the local hives
- Take an evening stroll through a private olive grove with peacocks
The cost of the retreat, which include 7 nights of shared accommodation (guests will be paired with another participant of the same sex per pavilion suite; if you are registering with a friend, please let us know so that we can book you in a room together), all planned breakfasts, lunches and dinners whether consumed at Peacock Pavilions or on excursions, entrance fees to all places of interest and tours, transport to the facility to and from the airport upon arrival and departure, all transport to and from planned activities, a day trip to Essouria inclusive of lunch and activities, all activities at the facility (wine tasting, henna party, movie night) and all non-alcoholic beverages. With the exception of cocktails at the welcome reception, wine provided for the scheduled wine tasting, and cocktails during the rooftop henna party, alcoholic beverages will be billed at and by Peacock Pavilions on an individual basis during the actual retreat.
Cost is US$2,495 per person. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the airport in Marrakech from their point of origin. Extra nights at Peacock Pavilions can be booked for an additional charge. Please contact us if you are interested in this option.
A 50% deposit (US$1,247.50) is required to secure registration. The remaining 50% is due in full by 30 days prior to the start of the retreat (by 22 December 20110), or as soon as your registration has been confirmed by us should you be registering less than 30 days prior to the retreat. Please read our payment, cancellation and refund policy before you register. Your registration indicates that you fully understand our policies and procedures.
Just for fun, also be sure to check out the retreat Facebook page!
you might also enjoy these upcoming classes...See All
Intro to Raw
- February 1, 2014
- Join us in a special class geared to introduce you to the joy of raw food, step by step. Learn how to prepare five basic raw food recipes which you can easily prepare in your own kitchen, again and...
- May 24, 2014
- The ancient Mayans, one of the most advanced civilizations of their time, knew the power of raw cacao, but do you? Bring your chocolate fantasies to life and indulge with five contemporary chocolate creations...